Hugging and Chalking

This blog is about obesity and the inanity/insanity it spawns, the encroaching lawsuits and growing diet industry. Obesity is a matter of genes and personal responsibility. You can have an endocrine problem, or you can have a balance problem (too many calories and too little exercise). It’s not where you eat, but how much you eat; it’s not McDonald’s fault, or Mama’s fault, or Washington’s fault if your body is too fat or too thin. Rosabelle.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Exercise the natural way

Although I see some vigorous joggers and walkers, most of us here at Lakeside, Ohio, for vacation or the summer just get more exercise than usual because we don't use our cars. I might walk 10-12 blocks a day or ride my bike several miles and not even think about it. I'll ride my bike to a friend's house, rather than call on the cell phone. I think this is why our parents and grandparents didn't carry as much weight. During the day I might walk 3 blocks and back to the little grocery store, or 2-3 blocks to the little business district, or stroll a mile along the lakefront and not even notice it. It's a wonderful way to get around--when the weather's good.

But even exercise won't help poor eating. Yesterday I noticed an overweight mommy buying tickets for her three overweight children to a "craft" event that included building your own sundae!

Walking at sunrise along Lake Erie

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At Saturday, 03 October, 2009, Blogger Rebecca said…

    I live in a very small town. We don't have a grocery store but we DO have a post office. I like to ride my bicycle to the post office and to deliver treats to friends. I often write a note to a friend who gets up much later than I do and I stick it in with their newspaper in the morning when I walk. I KNOW you're right about walking more; riding a bicycle & dropping in to deliver a message instead of using cell phone while driving, etc.

    It contributes to the "simpler" lifestyle that everyone talks about achieving, but few take the simplest steps toward it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home